Sunday, November 3, 2019

Post 10/29 class blog (response)


In response to Tianna-Marie's blog post on Hebdige, I found many parallels to our ways of thinking and analyzing "From Culture to Hegemony; Subculture: The Unnatural Break." We both drew connections to how Hebdige includes Barthes in his discussion, especially in regards to language.

This also circulates back to the our class discussion on Tuesday, in which we analyzed the way in which ideologies cause and control how we act in society, even down to how we communicate and interact with language. I had brought up the point of how gender ideologies influence how we use language, and how this in turn can affect power dynamics and roles in the work force. Similarly, Tianna-Marie had brought up ways in which race ideologies cause her to express herself differently with language, depending on the situation. I also agree that we have largely become submissive to our roles and these forces that control us (this is hegemony).

Every interaction in society is coded in a way, and includes hierarchies that are often unnoticed and unrecognized. Language, which largely permeates how we communicate and interact with daily society, is only one component of hegemony and ideology. Other habits that we believe to be small and tied to our individualism are also largely affected as well. For example, fashion, food, social habits and activities, etc. However, I do wonder what can be done about this. I'm not necessarily going to pyschoanalyze every activity that I participate in for example, to see if it is a result of a larger ideological scheme intended to enforce power dynamics. Studying these topics however, might make me more wary in the future or less reluctant to "stay in my lane" perhaps. Regardless, it's interesting to note how every individual is influenced by these dynamics so we can be better equipped to understand the position of others, rather than judge.

In addition, I agree with Tianna-Marie about topics coming up that have continued to remind me of previous CMC courses. I have found my experience in CMC 100 and 200 to be extremely helpful in interpreting certain theories and how they relate to social injustice and my own role in it. Topics and terms that I have also thought to have forgotten have also resurfaced and been useful towards my responses in class discussions. They have also been useful in connecting theories to a larger theme or picture.

On my honor, I have not given, nor received, nor witnessed any unauthorized assistance on this work.
-Renee Sang

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pre-class blog Appadurai

As Americans, we are often (rightly so) accused of living in a bubble. We tend to also live in a Eurocentric/Western world as well. I have...